There are millions of boats and other types of watercrafts currently registered in the United States, and close to 1,000,000 are registered in California. California also has the second highest watercraft accident rate in the country.
According to government statistics, watercraft accidents account for the following:
- More than 8,000 people are injured in boating accidents each year in the United States.
- There are more than 800 boating fatalities each year in the United States.
- Alcohol consumption contributed to 39% of all boating fatalities in California.
- Improper operation of a personal watercraft was responsible for 19% of the boating injuries and fatalities involving people under the age of 18, and nearly 1/3 of those victims were younger than 16.
If you have suffered damages as a result of a boating accident, you may be able to file a claim to recover all of your losses including medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of current and future income and loss of enjoyment if your accident occurred due to another’s negligence.
Your ability to make a claim for personal injury rests upon three factors:
- First is liability, that is who caused the accident and is legally responsible;
- Second is the establishment of an amount of damages to which you are legally entitled, and;
- Third, the ability to collect the damages, specifically what sources, such as insurance or individual assets, are available for payment of a settlement or damage award.
Attorney Nick Lowe has been protecting the rights of seriously injured victims and their families throughout the Sacramento area since 1992. He has vast knowledge in all areas of personal injury law, including accidents, wrongful death, product liability and premises liability. Attorney Lowe has recovered substantial settlements for our seriously injured clients in Northern California. He is respected in the community for his integrity, aggressive representation, and successful case outcomes.